Each day presents something new to learn.

Apart from Technical Topics, increasingly i find myself wanting to write about other topics that interests me - Entreprenuership and Business, Leadership, Africa, Service Industry (e.g Hotels, Restaurant). My writings would always represent my opinions and it might change from time to time.

Copying objects between two different amazon s3 accounts

I have recently taken on ownership of a website and as part of the migration task i’ve had to copy over a few artefacts;I will be posting another blog about what i have learnt from this process. The website uses Amazon s3 for storing users’ uploaded photos and document. I was faced with the task of copying these files over to my S3 account. Quite a number of ways to achieve this; but i stumbled on a link which is a python script that copies object between two buckets in the same account.

Assign AutomationIds to DevExpress ComboxBoxEdit Control

For some time i have been trying to automate a desktop application which uses a lot of DevExpress controls. For someone coming from a web application environment; this was a very difficult task for me as i had no experience of WPF or any of the other custom controls framework out there. So that i dont have to repeat myself i would post a link to the post i put on the devexpress website but i hope to flesh out a detail blog post sometime in the future so that other people can learn from me.

Type into a textfield with keypress event disabled

A colleague asked me how to automate a disabled text-box which has a calendar attached to it. The customer has specified that they want keyboard entries disabled for this text-field, hence every user of the website has to use the calendar drop down. Previously, this has been automated by using webdriver to type the text into the text box but as it was disabled, this was impossible. imagine, this is the html for the textbox:

Cucumber unicode support

I ran into a problem today where some french and spanish characters were being displayed strangely. And this made my test to fail, After some poking around in google i can across a post that suggested adding require ‘cucumber/formatter/unicode’ to the env.rb and that seem to have sorted the problems i was having. Hopes this saves you some time.

Performance Testing experience using Ant and Jmeter - Part 2

In my last blog post, i described how i have used jmeter-plugins at my current client site, now i am faced with another problem , i need to be able to run these performance test from command line, in other for these performance tests to be executed in a CI environment such as teamcity. A quick search brings to light the ant jmeter task which is an ant task for running jmeter test.

Performance Testing experience using Ant and Jmeter - Part 1

Jmeter is a well known open source performance/load testing tool and to be fair it does a lot of stuff really well. if you wants to do some quick performance testing without a whole lots of infrastructure around it then it is great. I started out my task with jmeter with some objectives: <li> A tool that i could integrate into a CI tool such as teamcity</li> <li> Meaningful graphs that could be easily interpreted by any one in the team</li> <li> Able to integrate the graphs into teamcity</li> <li> Able to monitor the performance of the website under test.

Screenshare tool for my trainings

Occasionally i invite people round to my house for testing or automation training which sometimes i find inconvenient. In other situation, someone on other side of town need my help and i cant. I have recently come across the tool - join.me and it is awesome, it allow mwe to share my screen with people and you can give them control ove your machine as well. I think this is great !

Stumbled on Chrome Net Internal

Sometime i would use my blog as a place to keep interesting stuff for future exploration. I came across the chrome net internals today and i think it exposes a lot of useful information that might be useful to testers when testing a web application. To access the chrome net internals, navigate to chrome://net-internals/ on a google chrome browser. I would be spending some more time in the future exploring this but for now its back to work.

Watir-Webdriver: Website certificate does not come from a trusted source

A colleague came across this problem while executing our acceptance tests. The issue was related to the fact that the SSL certificate for the site was named differently from the domain on which the test were being executed on . Hence, we got this error: “xxx.xxx.xxxx uses an invalid security certificate.The certificate does not come from a trusted source.The certificate is only valid for <a id=“cert_domain_link” title=“xxx.xxx.com”>xxxx.xxxxx.com</a>The certificate will not be valid until 13-Jul-11 10:28 AM.

Writing acceptance test before development or implementation starts

In my the few years, where i have pushed for testers developers to write acceptance test before development or implementation commences, I’ve had testers come up to me say its difficult to achieve this when you dont know what the UI would look like. This post would attempt to decribe how i have done this in the past and i still do this at the moment. NB: Ideally i would write my test using page object pattern, if this was a new project, I would start creating page objects